Traktor v CDJ v Vinyl. Which Way To Go?



Well it's a new year, a new decade indeed, goodbye to the 'nouties' and a big Yo! to the err... well I'm not sure what we call this decade? I'll leave that to the media to work out in just over 9 years time. No doubt it'll be something cute like the 'teenies'?
So New Year resolutions: Well amongst the usual promise breakers, get fit, eat more healthy, I decided I need to make a more creative contribution with my music this year, be it DJing or producing the latter being the more difficult to aspire to me thinks). As for DJing I just want to get back in the habit of creating regular mixtapes like I used to "pre kids". Easy enough I guess but now years on technology has really caught. I have so many choices before me and I really need to upgrade my tools of the trade.

So this is the big crux, do I stick with the vinyl? Upgrade my battered 7 year old Pioneer CDJ500 (I actually can't believe it is still playing CD's saying that it's pot luck if the cue will work or just randomly loop any 2 second part of the track) to a nice pair of shiny Pioneer CDJ400's or even better CDJ900's? Or should I go the whole 'digital' hog and opt in for Traktor or Serato?



My gut feeling is if I'm leaving the vinyl behind I should just dive head first into Traktor, I mean I'm a geek right, I know computers like the back of my hand, what could go wrong? The big sell is knowing I can take my whole music collection with me where ever you I choose to play. Then there is the economics, a pair of CDJ400's will set me back the best part of £1300, a Traktor set up I'm guessing would be well short of half of that.



I'm going to weigh up these 3 options over the coming months and who knows come Easter I'll may be pushing out my first ever "digital" mixtape. Then again knowing me it'll probably be a TDK SA90 Dolby C recording of my dusty, popping, scratched hip-hop records. Yey!

0 comments:

Post a Comment